About the TAMEST 2022 Annual Conference: Forward Texas—Imperatives for Health
Our TAMEST 2022 Annual Conference, Forward Texas: Imperatives for Health, will explore how Texas can build the vibrant, healthy communities of tomorrow and address topics like health care, education, infrastructure and infectious disease. It will also be an important opportunity to examine the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, its long-term impacts on our communities and discuss the innovative solutions and interventions that happened as a result.
Speakers will include President and CEO of Texas 2036 Margaret Spellings, National Science Foundation Director Dr. Sethuraman Panchanathan, The Honorable Henry Cisneros, Former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, and Dr. Marcia McNutt, President of the National Academy of Sciences.
The conference kicks off the evening of Tuesday, January 11, 2022, with an opening reception, followed by a full day of programming Wednesday, January 12, with the Edith and Peter O’Donnell Awards Ceremony and Dinner in the evening. The conference concludes with a half day of programming Thursday, January 13, 2022
The TAMEST Annual Conference is open to all in the research community.
Sandro Galea, M.D., Dr.P.H.
Dean and Robert A. Knox Professor
Boston University School of Public Health
Peter J. Hotez, M.D., Ph.D. (NAM)
Dean, National School of Tropical Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
Divisional Senior Vice President
Texas Health Care Delivery
Texas Health Care Delivery
Ellen Ochoa, Ph.D. (NAE)
National Science Board Chair
Director (retired), Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center
Sethuraman Panchanathan, Ph.D.
National Science Foundation
Robert Phillips, M.D.
Founding Executive Director, The Center for Professionalism & Value in Health Care
American Board of Family Medicine Foundation
President and CEO
Program Chair and Committee
Program Committee Members
- Honorary Chair: Amelie G. Ramirez, Dr.P.H. (NAM), Past President, TAMEST; UT Health San Antonio
- David E. Daniel, Ph.D. (NAE), President, TAMEST; President Emeritus, The University of Texas at Dallas
- Ellen R. Gritz, Ph.D. (NAM), Emerita Professor and Former Chair of the Department of Behavioral Science, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Adam L. Hamilton, P.E., President and CEO, Southwest Research Institute
- Carlos Roberto Jaén, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.A.F.P. (NAM), Professor and Chair of the Department of Family and Community Medicine, UT Health San Antonio
- A. Ray Pentecost, Dr.P.H., Ronald L. Skaggs and Joseph G. Sprague Chair of Health Facilities Design; Director, Center for Health Systems & Design, Texas A&M University
- C. Michael Walton, Ph.D. (NAE), Ernest H. Cockrell Centennial Chair in Engineering, Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin
Forward Texas Digital Series
When COVID-19 hit, TAMEST (The Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science of Texas) knew it had an important role to play by doing what it does best — convening the research community to foster collaboration and share evidence-based scientific information. Throughout 2020, TAMEST focused on exploring and amplifying the science behind the novel coronavirus with its digital series, Forward Texas: TAMEST Conversations on COVID-19.