TAMEST to Host Natural Hazards Summit: Responding to and Mitigating the Impacts
The TAMEST Natural Hazards Summit: Responding to and Mitigating the Impacts will highlight our current understanding of the impact of natural hazards on the economy and wellbeing of communities of Texas.
The summit will consist of two parts, one day each:
The National Wind Institute (NWI) at Texas Tech University where research in tornadoes, high winds, and hail has been conducted for the past fifty years will present Part I – Wind, Tornado and Drought Hazards in June 2, 2020, in Lubbock, Texas. This event will take place at Texas Tech University’s International Cultural Center, 601 Indiana Avenue, Lubbock, TX 79409.
The Hurricane Resilience Research Institute (HuRRI) at the University of Houston, launched following Hurricane Harvey, will present Part II – Hurricane, Flood and Wildfire Hazards in October 20, 2020, in Houston, Texas. This event will take place at the Hilton University of Houston, 4450 University Dr, Houston, TX 77204.
The summit will convene government officials, research leaders and insurance industry representatives to take a hard look at what the state needs to know and do to prepare for future natural disasters including response, recovery, and mitigation of the impacts.
The proceedings of the event will be featured in a post-summit brief, infographic and videos.
More information on speakers and registration will be available soon.
- Kishor C. Mehta, Ph.D. (NAE), P. W. Horn Professor of Civil, Environmental and Construction Engineering, Texas Tech University
- Hanadi S. Rifai, Ph.D., P.E., John and Rebecca Moores Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Houston
- Danny D. Reible, Ph.D. (NAE), Professor of Chemical Engineering, Professor of Civil, Environmental, and Construction Engineering, Texas Tech University
- Peter J. Hotez, M.D., Ph.D. (NAM), Dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine
- W. Nim Kidd, Chief, Texas Divisionof Emergency Management
- Chandra Womack, P.E., Texas Windstorm Insurance Association;Aran & Franklin