Edith and Peter O’Donnell Awards
The O’Donnell Awards annually recognize rising Texas researchers who are addressing the essential role that science and technology play in society, and whose work meets the highest standards of exemplary professional performance, creativity and resourcefulness.
The O’Donnell Awards acknowledge outstanding achievements by Texas-based researchers in four categories: medicine, engineering, science and technology innovation.
Each award includes a $25,000 honorarium and an invitation to present at TAMEST’s Annual Conference in January.
The call for nominations for the 2019 Edith and Peter O’Donnell Awards will open in February 2018.
2018 O’Donnell Awards Recipients
2018 O’Donnell Awards Recipients: Jordan S. Orange, M.D., Ph.D., Delia Milliron, Ph.D. and Xiaoqin Elaine Li, Ph.D.
Defining a new class of diseases. Advancing technology that could revolutionize how windows are used in modern architecture. And creating materials that could open the door to major advances in energy, communications and computing.
These are the discoveries by Texas’ rising stars in research being honored with the 2018 Edith and Peter O’Donnell Awards.
Edith and Peter O’Donnell Awards 10th Anniversary
2016 marked the 10th anniversary of the O’Donnell Awards. Over $1 million has been awarded to dozens of recipients in the categories of medicine, engineering, science and technology innovation since the inception of the program. The awards are named in honor of Edith and Peter O’Donnell who are among Texas’ staunchest advocates for excellence in scientific advancement and STEM education.
O’Donnell Awards Supporters
The Edith and Peter O’Donnell Awards Endowment Fund was established in 2005 through the generous contributions of the following individuals and organizations:
- Dr. and Mrs. Kenneth Altshuler
- Austin Industries, Inc. and William T. Solomon, Chairman
- Julie and Louis Beecherl
- Melanie and Tim Byrne
- Mr. and Mrs. W. Plack Carr, Jr.
- William P. and Rita Clements, Jr.
- Collins Family Foundation
- Mr. and Mrs. Edward A. Copley
- The Cullen Foundation
- Cullen Trust for Health Care
- Cullen Trust for Higher Education
- Dell Inc.
- Hunt Consolidated, Inc.
- Kodosky Foundation
- The Eugene McDermott Foundation
- The Robert and Janice McNair Foundation
- The Rodger Meier Family
- Joyce and Harvey Mitchell
- National Instruments
- Edith and Peter O’Donnell
- Margot and Ross Perot
- Caren H. Prothro & The Vin and Caren Prothro Foundation
- Rowling Foundation
- SBC Foundation
- Southwestern Medical Foundation
- Ron and Phyllis Steinhart
- Texas Instruments Foundation
- TXU Energy
- Valero Energy Foundation
- Dr. and Mrs. Kern Wildenthal
- Cheryl and Sam Wyly
- Dee and Charles Wyly
- Zachry Foundation